I’m a student at a Canadian Medical school on a Visa. Can I apply for residency with my study/work Visa?

In order to obtain a license to practise in residency, provincial rules state that you must be a Canadian Citizen or a permanent resident, or be in the process of obtaining Canadian citizenship or permanent residency.

However, some faculties who accept students with a Visa as part of their medical education programs may have a special acceptance criteria for those students within their own residency programs. For example, Quebec faculties will accept Visa students from any Quebec faculties into their residency programs.

We recommend that you contact your postgraduate medical education office to see if there are any special accommodations for medical students on a Visa within their provincial eligibility criteria.


Article is closed for comments.