In order to ensure program directors receive the information they need to evaluate applicants, we recommend letters of reference include:
- The date the letter was written
- The time and duration of the referee’s contact with the applicant
Assessment of the applicant’s:
- Cognitive skills and knowledge
- Problem solving and patient management skills
- Behaviour and attitudinal skills
- Communication skills and working relationships
- Motivation and punctuality
- Sense of responsibility
- Procedural skills specific to the discipline
- Special qualities and unique contributions
If referees are unable to comment on a specific component of an applicant’s performance in any of the above categories, they should indicate that they have not observed or do not have knowledge of that specific component in their letter.
Article is closed for comments.