CaRMS Help Center
Have a question? We have an answer!
2024 and 2025 Pediatric Subspecialty Match Cycles
- I am interested in applying to a match. How do I know If I am eligible?
- Are match timelines ever updated after approval?
- How will the 2024 R-1 Match timeline affect those applying to both the CaRMS and the NRMP matches?
- What are the fee changes for the R-1 Main Residency Match?
- What does 'accreditation status' mean?
- How will the 2023 R-1 Match timeline changes affect those applying to both the CaRMS and the NRMP matches?
- How do I apply to CaRMS if I am an IMG?
- As an IMG, do I have to be a permanent resident in Canada?
- What MCC exams do I need for the R-1 Main Residency Match?
- I am an IMG, what can I do to prepare for the match?
- I am participating to a US match (NRMP) at the same time as CaRMS. How does that work?
- Will I be eligible for the R-1 second iteration if I write the MCCQE1 in January or February?
CaRMS Self-Identification Questionnaire
- ★ What is the CaRMS self-identification questionnaire (CSIQ)?
- ★ Why is the CaRMS self-identification questionnaire being implemented?
- ★ How can I complete the CaRMS self-identification questionnaire (CSIQ)?
- Can I assign the CaRMS self-identification questionnaire to a program that is not requesting it?
- Why should I fill out the CaRMS-self identification questionnaire?
- How will my questionnaire information be shared with programs?
- I would like to apply for an ERAS fellowship. How do I register for a token?
- As an IMG, how do I register for the ERAS match?
- I am applying to ERAS. How do I get my school to send you my MSPR and transcript if I am not participating in a CaRMS match?
- Can I get my reference letters mailed/transferred from CaRMS to ERAS?
- How can ERAS applicants request an MSPR and/or medical school transcript to be transferred from CaRMS to ERAS?
Managing Your CaRMS Online Account
- How do I clear my cache?
- How can I switch between different CaRMS Online roles and matches?
- I'm experiencing technical difficulties in CaRMS Online. What do I do?
- I have recently changed my name. How do I update my account?
- How do I modify my account information?
- What is my CaRMS ID?
- What documents or information can applicants have access to through CaRMS Online?
- Is CaRMS subject to the Federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA)?
- Previously, applicants were able to request and obtain reference materials and third-party assessment information provided through CaRMS for their applications. Why has this changed?
- Were referees informed that the reference materials they provided could be accessible to applicants when this was the case?
Match Violations Policy
- How does the match violations process work?
- Is it safe for me to report a violation?
- What happens if I report a violation?
- What if I hear about a violation but did not experience or witness it?
- What happens if I am reported for a violation?
- What are examples of a match violation?
Registering and joining a match
- How do I withdraw from the match?
- Why does it say I'm not eligible to participate to a match?
- What do I enter during registration if I only have one name?
- How do I register for a CaRMS Online account?
- How do I participate in a match?
- If I made a mistake during a previous section during registration, can I go back?
Filling out your information
- ★ Where should I enter my 'Observership' information?
- My date of graduation is incorrect under the Medical Education section, but I can’t change it. What do I do?
- What is a clerkship?
- Under Licensure, what does “provincial postgraduate educational license” refer to?
- What is the difference between the Scholarly Activities and Research, and Presentations/Publications sections?
- How do I fix my MCC Candidate Code?
Transferring documents from physiciansapply.ca
- I’m a current year Canadian Medical Graduate (CMG) and have transferred my future MCCQE1 exam information from physiciansapply.ca but I am receiving an error, what do I do?
- Nova Scotia requires that CMG's have registered and challenged the Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Exam Part 1 (MCCQE 1) by July 1, 2023, do I need to provide proof?
- How do I transfer my older (pre-September 2008) MCC exams?
- What is the Identity Validity Period?
- How do I transfer my Medical Council of Canada (MCC) examinations and Identity Validity Period (IVP) in my CaRMS Online account?
- Do I have to re-share my MCC exams if I’ve previously participated in a match?
Situational judgement tests
- ★ What is the Casper test?
- How long is my FMProC test valid?
- Does Acuity Insights offer accommodations for the Casper test?
- If I completed the Casper last year, can I still use the results again this year?
- Which programs will see my Casper test score?
- Can I re-take the Casper test in the same match cycle?
- ★ How do I request an Orthopedic Surgery Structured Reference Letter?
- ★ Do I need a language exam?
- ★ Who can notarize or certify my Citizenship document?
- How do I add additional documents to a PDF?
- As an applicant, how should I upload documents requested by programs?
- What is acceptable proof of the LMCC?
- What are the different document statuses in my document tracking section?
- What is the status of my document?
- What do I do in the Document Tracking section?
- Do programs have access to my document tracking section?
- Is there a limit to the amount of documents that I can have in the document tracking?
- Why can't I view certain documents in my CaRMS Online account?
- ★ How do I create a reference request in CaRMS Online?
- ★ What is a "formulaire d'appui" or "applicant support" form?
- What is a structured reference letter?
- What is a letter of reference?
- Will my Family Medicine Structured Reference Letters from the 2022 R-1 match be accepted by programs during the 2023 R-1 match?
- How do I create a non-discipline specific reference request in CaRMS Online?
- I have requested for the translation of reference document(s). When will I receive them?
- Can I assign a translated document to my selected programs even if the document hasn’t been uploaded into my account?
- How do I submit a document for translation?
- What are the translation fees?
- What do I do if I find an error in my translated MSPR?
- Can I use a translation service outside of CaRMS?
Applying to programs
- Why is the Document Assignment check column under the My Applications to Programs page blank?
- I am not eligible to apply to Québec programs in the regular stream of the R-1 match because I have a fellowship, what do I do?
- How do application and document updates affect my submitted program application?
- When does my “Date updated” column get updated?
- How do I assign a document after the opening of File Review?
- How do I add a note to a program?
- When a program doesn’t select me for an interview, will they inform me as to why?
- As an applicant, where can I find the interview schedule?
- I have been waitlisted by a program, when will I know whether or not I will be selected for an interview?
- How long will it take for the programs to contact me after I have been selected for interview?
- When can I begin checking my account for updates on my interview offer status?
- Are programs obligated to enter an interview offer status for all applicants that have applied to their program?
Ranking your programs
- Does the interview offer status influence what programs I can rank?
- How does ranking work?
- Should I submit a rank order list if I didn't get invited for any interviews?
- How do I submit a rank order list as an individual?
- Should I rank a program if I’m not sure I want to train there?
- What is couples ranking?
- What happens after the match?
- Can CaRMS provide a letter confirming that I meet the eligibility requirements for the Cumming School of Medicine’s (University of Calgary) extension program?
- Can I receive my match results early?
- Will my undergraduate office notify me automatically if I opted-in to share my results and I go unmatched?
- How does the matching process work?
- How do I access my match results?
Second iteration and post-match process
- Are there any interviews in the second iteration of a match?
- In the R-1 main residency match, will any unused program credits from the first iteration be carried over to the second iteration?
- In the R-1 main residency match, what fees are involved for the second iteration?
- If I applied to a program in the first iteration, will I have to re-apply to that program in the second iteration?
- What are the differences between the first and second iteration of R-1?
- Will my application and documents from First Iteration be carried over into Second Iteration?
Submitting reference materials
- How do I add a reference request to my reference list?
- How do I submit a reference assessment form for the FM/ES match?
- How do I complete an inline letter on CaRMS Online?
- How do I upload a reference letter on CaRMS Online?
- How do I submit a reference letter in CaRMS Online?
- How can a referee edit a submitted reference letter?
Reference and referee guidelines
- As a referee, what are my responsibilities in the CaRMS process?
- How should I expect to receive requests for letters of reference from applicants?
- What is the deadline for my letters of reference to be submitted?
- What should letters of reference include?
- How do I create/register for a Referee account?
Reference document types
Managing your CaRMS account
Undergraduate medical education offices
- How do I set my Nextcloud account to French?
- How do applicants submit their Medical Student Performance Record (MSPR) and Medical School Transcript?
- We have a student that will not graduate until later in the year and cannot start residency until then. Are they still eligible for the match?
- I am the new Undergraduate admin, how do I get a CaRMS Undergraduate account?
- How can an international school with no CaRMS account upload an electronic MSPR or Transcript for a student?
- As an Undergraduate Office user, what are my responsibilities in the CaRMS process?
Navigating your CaRMS Online account
Guidelines for class lists, transcripts and MSPRs
- Can I upload an MSPR/Transcript for a student who is not participating in a match?
- How do I upload an MSPR in WORD for students who would like to request a translation?
- What is the naming convention required for documents uploaded to the CaRMS Online Undergraduate Portal?
- When is the documents submission deadline for Undergraduate Offices?
- How do I upload or replace an MSPR or Transcript for a student AFTER file review has begun?
- How do I replace MSPRs and transcripts?
- How does CaRMS ensure Undergraduate offices can successfully access match day results?
- How do I access match results?
- When will my list of students who are unmatched be available and how can I access it?
- If a student chooses not to answer the consent form, will the undergraduate office receive a match status?
- If a student is unmatched and has opted in to sharing their status, what will be shared with the undergraduate office?
- How can students opt out of sharing their unmatched status with their undergraduate office?
Postgraduate medical education offices
PGME guidelines and general information
- I need to remove a program from the match. What do I do?
- How can a new structured reference letter be introduced into the R-1 Match?
- My program is interested in requesting the CaRMS Self-identification questionnaire. What do I need to do?
- What is the naming convention required when uploading the Eligible Resident List?
- How do I set my Nextcloud account to French?
- What is the Master ranked applicant list?
Modifying program director, postgraduate office and match coordinator accounts
- I have two program directors but I can only add one in CaRMS Online. What do I do?
- I will no longer be the PG Coordinator for my university. What will happen to my CaRMS access?
- How do I edit existing program director accounts?
- What can a match leader/coordinator do?
- How do I create/delete a postgraduate office and match coordinator account?
- What is the section Faculty access used for?
- How do I remove a program?
- How do I update my province's eligibility criteria?
- How do I modify a program's accreditation?
- How can I edit the program description?
- How do I edit the Master program description?
- How do I add a new program to a match?
Second Iteration and Post-Match Process
- How does my program switch stream during the Post-match Process?
- How do I modify the quota of a program participating in the Post-match Process?
- Can new programs be added during the Post-match Process?
- What is the Post-Match Process?
- How to participate programs in the Post-match Process?
- What is the procedure when a program accepts an application in the post-match process?
Program directors and administrators
Guidelines and general information for program directors and administrators
- What are the program description standardized instructions?
- Would it be acceptable to provide prizes for games/activities during our virtual social events?
- A program has a new administrator. How do they gain access?
- There is a new program director for our program, how can they gain access?
- As a program director or administrator, what are my responsibilities in the CaRMS process?
- As a program director or administrator, how do I log in to CaRMS Online?
Program description setup
- As a program, what instructions should I add within the description box when I request a document type within my program description?
- My program is interested in requesting the Casper as a required document. What do I need to do?
- How do I make changes to my program description after it's been approved?
- I am an FM program director or program administrator. How do I add the new Family Medicine Professional Choices Assessment as a required document in my program description?
- Can programs still use their own reference forms from prior matches for the R-1 match?
- I am a FM program director or program administrator. How do I add the new Family Medicine structured reference letter as a requirement in my program description?
File reviewer setup
- How do I download the photos when they become available?
- Can programs print applicant files?
- Can programs keep or save applicant files?
- How do I interpret results for the NAC examination?
- How do I compare the new NAC scores with the old NAC exams?
- How can I export applicant data?
- Can programs send a message to applicants who are “Selected for interview”?
- What happens if we notify an applicant that has already been notified previously?
- Is there a deadline to update interview statuses?
- How does the interview process work for programs?
- What do we do if we are not conducting interviews in the current match/iteration?
- What does the interview offer status tool look like for programs?
- Do we have to remove Withdrawn candidates from our Rank Order List?
- Can our program obtain a template of the unranked applicant form?
- My program did not receive any applications. Do we still need to submit a Rank Order List?
- How do I use one spreadsheet to update rank order lists for multiple program sites?
- How do I submit our program's rank order list?
- How do I view the status of unranked applicant forms?
Second iteration and post-match process
- How does the Post-match Process differ from first and second iteration?
- What information was copied over from my CMG program description to my IMG program description?
- What can be modified within program descriptions in the post-match process?
- How does the post-match process work?
- How can we include our program in the post-match process?
- Can our R-1 program change stream designations in the Post-Match Process?
File reviewer guidelines
- During file review, how do I report an issue with a document?
- As a file reviewer, what should I be aware of when considering applications from international medical graduates (IMGs)?
- As a file reviewer/interviewer, what are my responsibilities regarding the security of information?
- As a file reviewer/interviewer, what are my responsibilities regarding the security of applicants’ information?
- As a file reviewer/interviewer, what are my responsibilities in the CaRMS process?
- What is the CaRMS self-identification questionnaire (CSIQ)?
- Why is the CaRMS self-identification questionnaire being implemented?
- How can I complete the CaRMS self-identification questionnaire (CSIQ)?
- Where should I enter my 'Observership' information?
- What is the Casper test?
- How do I request an Orthopedic Surgery Structured Reference Letter?
- Do I need a language exam?
- Who can notarize or certify my Citizenship document?
- How do I create a reference request in CaRMS Online?
- What is a "formulaire d'appui" or "applicant support" form?