What information should my application include?

As an applicant, you can fill in the required information for training directly into our online system.

You are also able to upload and/or request the required documents for your application. Some documents (e.g. MSPRs) are provided to CaRMS directly from Canadian medical schools.

Any official documents that are not notarized or sent directly from the source are marked with a “copy” stamp. For example, reference letters should be sent directly from the referee to CaRMS whenever possible, but when necessary, you are also able to submit notarized copies yourself.

A typical postgraduate residency application includes:

Personal information
Input the required personal information (e.g., date of birth, gender, citizenship, MINC). You can also include medical identifications.

Language skills
Identify your language proficiency in English, French and/or any other language. Only include languages that you can read, write and speak fluently.

Enter information about medical licensure. Canadian medical graduates (CMGs) usually will not have a medical license until they have completed their residency training and all Medical Council of Canada (MCC) exams. Many international medical graduates (IMGs) will have a medical license.

Note: Completing all the MCC exams and obtaining your Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada (LMCC) certificate does not necessarily mean that you have your license to practice medicine in Canada.

Achievements and interests
Record your academic achievements (e.g., honours and awards, leadership/administrative positions, memberships, associations and committees, other accomplishments) and areas of interest you would like to provide to the programs.

Non-medical education (Undergraduate, Graduate and CÉGEP education)
Record your undergraduate and graduate education (completed or not). Undergraduate education is any schooling you received after completing high school and before beginning medical school (e.g., Bachelor’s degree, CÉGEP, pre-med). Graduate education is any schooling you received after completing your undergraduate education (e.g., Master’s degree, Doctorate).

Medical education
Record where you have earned, or will earn, your medical degree.

Clerkship electives
Identify any electives that you have, or will have, completed during your undergraduate medical education that were approved by your Undergraduate Medical Education office (UGME). An elective is defined as any rotation you have done during your medical education training that was not mandatory. This does not include your core rotations.

Postgraduate training / Internships
Record any accredited postgraduate medical residency training you have participated in after obtaining your medical degree or internships (including broad-based internships).

Residency electives
Record electives you have, or will have, completed during your residency training.

Professional training
Record any non-clinical training/certifications you have completed that is not directly linked to your medical education (e.g. CPR, ACLS).

Work experience
Record any work experience that is not considered clinical practice but that you consider important. This also includes work that was done prior to obtaining your medical degree. You are encouraged to record work experience that is not necessarily linked to the medical field.

Volunteer experience
Record volunteer experience or relevant unpaid work for which you did not receive school credit. Volunteer experience does not have to be linked to the medical field. You may record volunteer experience that took place prior to obtaining your medical degree.

Scholarly activities and research
Record your participation in research, as well as organized clinical discussions, rounds, journal clubs and conferences.

Record any published research and/or presentations, which may include paid or unpaid work. You must be cited as an author or contributor.

Applicants wanting to upload publications are asked to only upload the abstract. Publications should be confined to peer-reviewed journals.

Record any fellowships you have completed. Fellowships are non-accredited programs that are considered additional specialized training experience involving patient contact, and does not lead to certification/licensure.
Training as a clinical or research fellow in the Department of Medicine is not accredited nor is it approved as residency training towards certification by the Royal College. Fellowships are not electives.

Clinical practice
Record clinical practice experience. This may include paid or unpaid work. For the purposes of the CaRMS application, clinical practice is defined as actively practicing medicine with an independent license without supervision.

Other health related practice (e.g. dentistry, paramedicine, nursing, pharmacy) should be entered in the ‘Work’ section.
Any supervised clinical practice experience with a provisional/restricted license in Canada (e.g. clinical assistant) should be included in the ‘Work’ section.
Observerships should not be included in your online application, please add them to your custom CV/resume documents.

Examinations (MCC exams, USMLEs, assessments)
Record examinations you have taken, or are scheduled to take. All examination documents submitted to programs must be current. Some examinations expire after a number of years; it is up to you to ensure that your examination results are currently valid.


Article is closed for comments.